Badlands Action
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedication to Action and fun.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lolthatguy

lolthatguy

Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  Empty
PostSubject: Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?    Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 am

I've been really wanting to take the elemental models that final fantasy uses and splice them into nwn.. if possible, I bet it is possible but it would probably just take some file conversions? I've never done this before but I'm wondering if anyone has before.

I know that sinfar has taken models from other games.. but those games used the aurora engine so that's pretty straight forward and easy, at least to my mind.

Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  270?cb=20120719012418

Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  270?cb=20120902170041

Here are pics of an earth elemental and ice elemental respectively; the animations for them in game look crazy though when active.
Back to top Go down
Highv Priest
Admin
Highv Priest

Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?    Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Yes actually, back when I scripted/hosted "Land of the dead". I incorporated the gun models from Resident Evil 3. I also added Nemesis as a boss ftom RE3 too.
The issue of using outside game models arises in the version of directx used to make it. Models from later Directx versions can still be used, but they may not render properly due to featires in newer directx not being usable in older versions. In addition while nwn has no hard limit to the amount of polygons a model can have, more then 10,000 polygons causes lag spikes(ala horse lag).
Back to top Go down
https://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
lolthatguy

lolthatguy

PostSubject: Re: Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?    Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 12:11 pm

can't you just abate that by putting in invisible models into each area? I mean.. that is kind of ridiculous, but, it would work. Didn't you do that for horses and lag robes?
Back to top Go down
Highv Priest
Admin
Highv Priest

PostSubject: Re: Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?    Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 1:43 am

lolthatguy wrote:
can't you just abate that by putting in invisible models into each area? I mean.. that is kind of ridiculous, but, it would work. Didn't you do that for horses and lag robes?

Yes you can, though this would need to be done for -every- model. Which again is still doable and not too hard. However do note that the reason lag spikes stop happening is that the models in question are stored in their clients RAM. So you would increase their RAM by each model consecutively.(lol @ 2 gigs of RAM for nwn)
Back to top Go down
https://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?    Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is there a quick and dirty way to import creature models from other games?
Page 1 of 1