Badlands Action
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedication to Action and fun.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

No more 1/20 saving throws

Go down 
+3
keeper
ThorVeras
Zentraxius
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Zentraxius

No more 1/20 saving throws Empty
PostSubject: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 am

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it's silly to fail a saving throw with a sub 20 DC when your saves are in the 40+ range because you rolled a 1, or that one mob who has a 16 fort but rolled a 20 on your dc 48 megadoom spell, it's silly and, despite being a core game mechanic, is, well, gamebreaking, my 8 wisdom DD shouldn't be passing 40 dc hold checks because my 8 will self got lucky, at the same time I shouldn't be able to wail 40 mobs and see 2-3 of them laugh there way towards me because RNJesus decided it was time.

I know fixing this is possible, and would really appreciate some feedback on it.
Back to top Go down
ThorVeras

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 7:02 am

Haha, i feel you bro.

I like the 1 roll always miss or lose, kinda make the game funnier. Is just bad vs PVE but at PVP is a must for some builds.
The 20 always hit is fair too. Still i understand your frustration, i died in many tourneys rolling 1 for some death spell.
Back to top Go down
keeper

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 7:31 am

It can easily be changed but since balands is always a pvp server we are use to a 1 auto fail 20 auto hit . makes it more even I guess . I wailed about this years ago but it never got changed and now it makes sense this way .
Back to top Go down
lolthatguy

lolthatguy

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 am

Auto failure and auto success is a very important aspect of this game, it also helps to simulate true randomness. Without auto success you wouldn't be able to hit something with outlandish AC, and without auto failure you wouldn't be able to make use of things such as AoEs with relatively low DC. Auto failure has a lot of application in pvp, without auto failure and success pvp would likely drag on and on and on, under some circumstances, and in fact might never actually end. The fact that you rolled a 20 with 8 will and saved is mostly irreverent due to the fact that you wont likely make that same roll again... 95% of the time you'll fail. In pvp you can avoid 1's by being careful, and while sometimes, yes, there's nothing you can do, a lot of the time you can actually prevent the unfortunate from ruining you day with preparation and diligence.
Back to top Go down
Highv Priest
Admin
Highv Priest

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 1:59 pm

No one despises 1s and 20s more than me, but it really does equate to better gameplay for those moments to happen. If I had to pick one major problem though I would say I don't think streaks is something that should happen on death rolls.

A person can laugh about being deved on the first hit one time, maybe even a second time... But if they roll a 1 and die 3+ times in a row within short order it stops being funny.

Many things can be done in this regard, even with limited hacking options, but the question is what is truly the best for the game? What makes the game more fun to play?
Back to top Go down
https://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
keeper

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyFri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 pm

having once rolled 7 ones on a bad save streak suck , but at some point u must accept that you will fail a save and die . In PVE I could see the 1s and 20s going away but not for pvp .
Back to top Go down
Morgoth

Morgoth

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 pm

1 and 20 rolls are vitally important to pvp
Back to top Go down
Spaceman87

Spaceman87

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws EmptySat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 am

1s and 20s are a big part of the game, otherwise you end up with immortal builds.

It was brought up before that for certain 0 AC builds, immunity to Dev Crit would make sense (high level dwarven defenders and high level barbarians), so perhaps that can be looked at
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No more 1/20 saving throws   No more 1/20 saving throws Empty

Back to top Go down

No more 1/20 saving throws
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Badlands Action :: Talking about nwn :: Wish List-
Jump to: