Badlands Action
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedication to Action and fun.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Curious as to some things

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Highv Priest
Admin
Highv Priest

Curious as to some things Empty
PostSubject: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm

While BadLands was down I played Baldur's Gate(just about finished actually) and I have to wonder, would implementing systems like Baldur's Gate be preferable?

I already have plans to utilize the different hit dice of monsters for various purposes(in real D&D games you can face monsters that are level 5 while fighting their level 40 boss, levels aren't even close to the same in most games).
The real issue with implementing monsters of lower level was just that said monsters would have lower ab by default and players have gear they wouldn't in a normal nwn campaign that matches their level to accomodate for ab.
That being said... I can just straight up override the ab to whatever so it allows monsters that are level 5 facing off against your group in a horde allowing you to utilize spells and affects on them which otherwise wouldn't work.

However the parts of Baldur's Gate that make it Baldur's Gate is threefold, firstly you can create a character with literally random attributes which is something I can do here(already have the anti-ban enabled for attribute modifications) but I don't know if it would really serve any kind of purpose, secondly you can create your own party members which again I don't know if that could be done in such a way as to be useful and not just rediculously overpowered as players charge on to PoTB with squad of 6 to trainwreck you, and lastly you can pause combat and assign actions by clicking on each member to perform an action for you.

That last one I'm actually working on implementing. You use a player tool to select them and when selected all of their quickslots replace your quickslots(until you perform an action) and whatever action you perform while their quickslots are in your menu is the action they will perform on the target you clicked to perform it on(essentially copying Baldur's Gate in implementation but not visual effect).

If you instead opt to stealth, they will stealth, if you enter expertise mode, they enter expertise mode, if you attack a target, they will attack that target. During that mode you completely control them.(note I will not be able to make them use items however as trying to do that seems to just always crash the game).
Back to top Go down
https://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
skullchild

PostSubject: Re: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

Was that your first time playing BG?

BGII SOA was the first PC game I played, still remains one of the best games I've played.

I never liked the random stat generator tbh, it just forced people to sit and roll until they got an acceptably high score to allocate points.

The create your own party could be utilized in a specific arena area where you could summon other characters from your account (or whoever you are partied with) to fight against one or more other opponents- each controlling 2-6 players. Would that be possible?

I like the familiar/henchman control idea.
Back to top Go down
Highv Priest
Admin
Highv Priest

PostSubject: Re: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Yes an arena like that would be very possible and I can have it pull the creatures from your vault too.

Essentially allowing a squad of your best and brightest for some very epic wars.
Back to top Go down
lolthatguy

lolthatguy

PostSubject: Re: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 11:42 am

I love baldurs gate, it's one of my favorite games. But I'm not sure that playing more than one character in a game where you can't pause would be very efficient, let alone fun. I can speak from experience from occasionally dual boxing on badlands in PVP, sometimes I'd manage to win in a 2v2 but more likely I'd end up fumbling between two clients and lose out on a lot of actions that should've occurred had there been another player.

One of the things that I enjoyed thoroughly in baldurs gate that I had thought of adding to badlands were unique encounters, Baldurs gate had a lot of fun little mini-quests and mini boss fights where you'd go up against a group of adventures similar to your own. I've already done this with a few of my areas but I'll be doing it more in the future.
Back to top Go down
skullchild

PostSubject: Re: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 pm

"One of the things that I enjoyed thoroughly in baldurs gate that I had thought of adding to badlands were unique encounters, Baldurs gate had a lot of fun little mini-quests and mini boss fights where you'd go up against a group of adventures similar to your own. I've already done this with a few of my areas but I'll be doing it more in the future."

I've been working on something similar with my first + second area updates. I should have the second one complete either today/tomorrow.

Fighting an enemy band of adventurers would be fun. Highv had planned at one point to make a band/Harem of female adventurers as part of one boss fight which sounded cool.

I know of a couple of good low lvl places to add these encounters, question would be what loot would be reasonable for them to drop... Maybe gear that would be useful for lvling I.e. +5 AC boots
Back to top Go down
Highv Priest
Admin
Highv Priest

PostSubject: Re: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 pm

lolthatguy wrote:
I love baldurs gate, it's one of my favorite games. But I'm not sure that playing more than one character in a game where you can't pause would be very efficient, let alone fun. I can speak from experience from occasionally dual boxing on badlands in PVP, sometimes I'd manage to win in a 2v2 but more likely I'd end up fumbling between two clients and lose out on a lot of actions that should've occurred had there been another player.

One of the things that I enjoyed thoroughly in baldurs gate that I had thought of adding to badlands were unique encounters, Baldurs gate had a lot of fun little mini-quests and mini boss fights where you'd go up against a group of adventures similar to your own. I've already done this with a few of my areas but I'll be doing it more in the future.

I had created a pause feature, but I get what you mean for PvP. There is pretty much no way to make that fun outside of final fantasy style combat where each team queues up a set of actions on the enemy one(mirroring such a system could be fun in some situations though... Could have total war tier RTS on nwn lol)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curious as to some things   Curious as to some things Empty

Back to top Go down

Curious as to some things
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Badlands Action :: Talking about nwn :: General-
Jump to: