Dedication to Action and fun.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Scribing scrolls and brewing potions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jaq



Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-10-25

PostSubject: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Would it be possible to add empty scrolls and empty flasks so one could utilize scribe scrolls and brew potion?

Just a thought...

Jaq
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Highv Priest
Admin
avatar

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:49 pm

I certainly wouldn't mind, but such a thing on this server would literally ruin spell casters so I think players enjoying those classes would mind. Since default potions and scrolls are level 0(versus dispel) on this server almost all scrolls are ultimately worthless other than a select few offensive ones(for example implosion and mord).

Potions are even more useless as they are level capped(to 3) and self only.

Edit= Forgot truestrike is a thing... That'd be a fun potion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
Jaq



Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:39 am

I think if casters are made obsolete just because I could craft a lvl 4 scroll, then something is not right...

And Again, I'd like to use it for PvE not PvP, so I don't care that scrolls and potions are dispellable.

Any chance we could give it a try? It could end up making some melee classes worthwhile Smile

And scribing scrolls is capped at lvl 4 or 5 - so how that could be of danger to anyone I dont know...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Highv Priest
Admin
avatar

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 am

Jaq wrote:

And scribing scrolls is capped at lvl 4 or 5 - so how that could be of danger to anyone I dont know...

I do not think that is the case, but I've been surprised before.

In general it damages casters heavily because anyone can now strip off their acid sheath, strip off the spell resistance, anyone can now use a balg scroll on them(which ultimately only affects casters and the rare dex based pale master), etc.

Whereas any scrolls which would be harmful to melee(IE true seeing) would just get dispelled instantly(or in the case of implosion are devastating to just about anyone other than 20+ level monks).

A good point to keep in mind is we had breach scrolls here for a period of time and the only ones complaining about them were spellcaster users. This is why they should probably have some say in the matter.

Ultimately I like the idea of having brewable potions and scribeable scrolls, but most likely certain conditions would need to be met to not result in your average build with 1 rogue level being able to cheaply take down any spellcaster with a mord and a balg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
Jaq



Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:21 pm

You are right, HighV - scribing scrolls isn't capped at any level in plain NWN. I've been playing modules so much that I've mistaken those as the truth. Scribing scrolls were capped at level 4 on one module I've played extensively. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I guess scribing scrolls could be severely overpowering against spell casters. So unless you will hard cap it at spells level 4 and under, then do not implement it.

But potion brewing could still be fun, especially for characters not in a guild or those who just want to up their melees a bit.

Jaq
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Highv Priest
Admin
avatar

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Jaq wrote:
You are right, HighV - scribing scrolls isn't capped at any level in plain NWN. I've been playing modules so much that I've mistaken those as the truth. Scribing scrolls were capped at level 4 on one module I've played extensively. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I guess scribing scrolls could be severely overpowering against spell casters. So unless you will hard cap it at spells level 4 and under, then do not implement it.

But potion brewing could still be fun, especially for characters not in a guild or those who just want to up their melees a bit.

Jaq

Sounds good to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
Spaceman87

avatar

Posts : 166
Join date : 2014-05-31
Age : 30
Location : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 pm

hmm would it be possible to make certain controversial scrolls un-scribable while allowing the happy majority to be made with scribe?

I really like the idea of adding crafting of potions and scrolls, and yeah for special conditions that would require some specific build investment
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Highv Priest
Admin
avatar

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Spaceman87 wrote:
hmm would it be possible to make certain controversial scrolls un-scribable while allowing the happy majority to be made with scribe?

I really like the idea of adding crafting of potions and scrolls, and yeah for special conditions that would require some specific build investment

I will be adding this in Monday. Specifically, a caster can craft a scroll by using a blank paper and a pen which is sold by the librarian. They can craft any scroll that they so desire, the same can be said of potions(at any level).

I really do mean ANY scroll/potion and I will be adding wands as well.

I devised a unique system around the whole thing where scribing a scroll costs some experience(1,000xspell level) and you can rewrite the scroll numerous times to make the scroll better(like how an author edits a book to make it more appealing). So for example the blank paper/ink given by the Librarian is just standard paper/ink so it can create shitty versions of scrolls and really good ones as well. For example a true seeing that only gives +20 spot... Conversely there is a chance to make the scroll be an awesome version, like a true seeing that is also level 20 against dispel instead of level 0.

The chances on whether a scroll is a shitty version or a good version(or an awesome version) is depending on the paper it's written on(demon's hide instead of plain old normal paper or dragon's blood instead of normal ink).

The normal paper/ink from the librarian tends to make shitty versions(1% chance of awesome scroll, 4% chance of normal scroll, 95% chance of shitty scroll).

But writing it with dragon's blood and demon hide is much better(5% chance of awesome scroll, 45% chance of normal scroll, 50% chance of shitty scroll).

Then we get to potions which are much dicier. Potions you brew always come up as "unknown potion" when first made and you don't really know what it does until you take that first sip Twisted Evil

The bad variants of potions have some use too, for example a bad variant of bless will debuff everyone around the player with penalties equal to the bonuses of bless, a bad variant of spell resistance will cast a mord centered at the casters location). A bad variant of true seeing will give the player see invisibility at a higher level(thus lasting longer) than a see invisibility potion.

When you do the potion reveals what it is and what it does. Unlike scrolls, potions will always do the same thing with the same ingredients and a spell utilized as a catalyst to brew it. So it's up to the player to find out what does and doesn't work regarding potions. Once a potion has been made once by the player, then all subsequent potions will automatically be of that type from the same ingredients.

Then we get to wands/rods, which utilize an entirely different system. When creating a wand/rod, the object utilized to imbue the magic on as well as the spell level determine the percent chance of spell failure that the wand/rod has.

For example using a skeletons femur and casting mord on the femur will result in a 10(femur)x9(spell level of mord) percent chance of failure to cast the spell from the rod. If a spell fails more than once consecutively then the femur is damaged and extra charges are lost(equal to the number of times in a row it failed).

The way it works out is that only a character which has the scribe scroll feat and a class capable of casting the spell can use a scribed scroll.(so you can't just drop implosions on a pal/cot/rogue)

The same rule applies for potions(Except you only need the brew potion feat and some spells are always weaker, for example true seeing).

For wands, any character with use magic device or spellcasting ability can use them, the drawback is the chance of failure... For some spells they are treated as higher level(for example true strike is treated as the same level as true seeing meaning it's a 50% chance with default wand/rod).

I quite like this system, it's very fair and actually quite realistic and interesting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
Spaceman87

avatar

Posts : 166
Join date : 2014-05-31
Age : 30
Location : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 pm

This is frickin awesome!!!
Really cool crafting system, and looking forward to messing around with it, especially the murky mystery potions XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Highv Priest
Admin
avatar

Posts : 560
Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Spaceman87 wrote:
This is frickin awesome!!!
Really cool crafting system, and looking forward to messing around with it, especially the murky mystery potions XD

The way it works is very intuitive too. You scribe the first scroll by using the ink on the blank paper to create a written scroll and then cast the spell on to imbue the magic. To rewrite the scroll you use your written scroll on a blank scroll and it rewrites it with a stacking 1% DECREASE in chance that it is a shitty scroll.

If you rewrite an awesome scroll on a blank scroll it has a 50/50(80/20 for demon hide and Dragon blood) chance of writing an awesome or a normal scroll(remember humans rarely translate something perfectly).

Blank scrolls come available in stacks of 1 or 99 and when you write a scroll it creates a stack equal to the size you used(so it's not tedious as fuck)

Potion brewing is done by obtaining a brewing bag from Voodoo in Vesuvius. You put the ingredients and empty bottle inside the bag and cast a spell on it to create the Potion.

With wands/rods you take whatever object and cast on it to transform it into a wand/rod of that spell.

Still deciding on costs, but it probably won't be cheap XD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://badlandsaction.forumotion.com
Jaq



Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 am

Highv Priest wrote:
Spaceman87 wrote:
This is frickin awesome!!!
Really cool crafting system, and looking forward to messing around with it, especially the murky mystery potions XD

The way it works is very intuitive too. You scribe the first scroll by using the ink on the blank paper to create a written scroll and then cast the spell on to imbue the magic. To rewrite the scroll you use your written scroll on a blank scroll and it rewrites it with a stacking 1% DECREASE in chance that it is a shitty scroll.

If you rewrite an awesome scroll on a blank scroll it has a 50/50(80/20 for demon hide and Dragon blood) chance of writing an awesome or a normal scroll(remember humans rarely translate something perfectly).

Blank scrolls come available in stacks of 1 or 99 and when you write a scroll it creates a stack equal to the size you used(so it's not tedious as fuck)

Potion brewing is done by obtaining a brewing bag from Voodoo in Vesuvius. You put the ingredients and empty bottle inside the bag and cast a spell on it to create the Potion.

With wands/rods you take whatever object and cast on it to transform it into a wand/rod of that spell.

Still deciding on costs, but it probably won't be cheap XD.

Hehe, great work HighV. I'll definitely have to test it out.

Thanks for taking your time to implement craftable spell casting items Wink)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Scribing scrolls and brewing potions   

Back to top Go down
 
Scribing scrolls and brewing potions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Racial passives how to choose the right character in Elder Scrolls Online
» My guide to Nomad's Requiem :]
» Potions - Growl
» It's... It's... THE TIGREX!!!!
» Short Questions Thread (v1)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Badlands Action :: Talking about nwn :: Wish List-
Jump to: